If you own a dog training business or work as an independent trainer for someone else, you’re in the right place. There is one BIG difference between the business of a Trainer and other types of businesses – it’s the dogs! That’s not news to you, but most insurance policies ignore the dogs. PROfur includes them.
Dog trainers need specialized insurance to protect against the professional liability of training dogs and the expenses resulting from the accidental injury or loss of the dogs themselves while they’re in your care. We make it easy for you get a customized, cost-effective PROfur insurance policy that does a complete job of covering your dog training business.
PROfur Dog Trainers insurance includes coverage for:
- Obedience, puppy and behaviour training
- Sports training (includes agility, disc, dock diving, rally & nose/scent work)
- Trick training
- Your own demo dog if injured while assisting you with training
- Facilities you rent to run training courses
- Remote training and consultations by video, phone or text provided your customers are located in Canada and the training stays within the scope of training that the policy normally covers (obedience, puppy training, behaviour, agility, tricks, and sport including agility, disc, dock diving, rally and nose/scent work). However, keep in mind that there is no coverage if your online postings, including social media posts and videos, are alleged to have caused:
- Libel, slander, disparaging a person or organization or their goods, products or services
- Publication of material that violates a person’s right of privacy
- Misappropriation of advertising ideas or style of doing business
- Infringement of copyright, title or slogan
We are currently unable to insure the following training services:
- Training dogs to be working dogs (ie. therapy & service dogs, search & rescue, police, guard dogs)
- Training dogs to be hunting dogs
Coverage Extensions Are Available for:
What You Need to Qualify
- Prior training and experience as a dog trainer
- No training of therapy or service dogs, search & rescue, police or guard dogs, or hunting dogs
- Outdoor off-leash work must be in a fenced yard or sanctioned public off-leash area
- Highly recommend using a consent or waiver form
PROfur Masterplan Key Coverages
Protects against lawsuits alleging your service or advice caused injury or loss to a pet.
Protects against accidental injury to others, including pets, or accidental property damage. For example, this is designed to defend you if you are sued for negligence after a customer slips and falls in your training facility, or if something were to fall and injure a pet in your care.
Including: Emergency Vet Expenses, Loss by Theft or Runaway, or Death
Allows you to make the best of a bad situation by being able to cover unexpected expenses incurred to care for pets injured or lost while in your care. This feature has the unique benefit of not requiring you to be sued in order to use the coverage.
This provides coverage for expenses if your own demo dog is injured or killed while assisting with your training services.
The policy also insures pets while they are being transported in your care (i.e. If you have to take them to the vet; if you offer pickup or drop-off service).
Covers reasonable expenses incurred to find or attempt to find a pet that has escaped or been stolen (i.e. advertising, travel, pet transport, veterinary services).
Allows you to post a reward for the safe return, or for information leading to the safe return of a customer’s pet that has escaped or been stolen from your care.
Covers reasonable expenses incurred to remove pets from your premises in the event of an emergency to protect them from further harm (i.e. Pet transport, another temporary daycare facility or boarding).
Includes replacement cost coverage for tools, equipment and stock owned by your business while it is on the premises of your business, plus any renovations or leasehold improvements you are responsible for. Broad, multi-peril coverage is provided – in other words, the policy protects you against a wide variety of things that could damage your property such as fire, theft, vandalism and sewer backup among others.
This is a package of various coverages included on all PROfur Masterplan policies. It is designed to maximize your protection by covering gaps that often arise unpredictably after a claim.
Covers lost profit and pays for necessary ongoing expenses if your business is interrupted or closed due to a property damage claim. For example, if your training facility suffers extensive water damage after a storm and you’re closed for 2 months while it’s repaired, the policy will reimburse you for the profit you’ve lost and it will pay for necessary operating expenses that continue even while you’re closed, such as your salary and loan payments.
Coverage is also included for extra expenses you incur to avoid or minimize the interruption of business after a claim. For example, if your training facility suffers extensive damage after a fire and you’re closed for 3 months, this coverage can be used to cover the costs of relocating your business and advertising to let your customers know where to find you.
Insures your electronic equipment (or your electrical panel, wiring, air conditioner) against damage from electrical disturbances (like power surges and brown outs) and mechanical breakdown, and more importantly, it covers the lost profit and necessary ongoing expenses (like your salary) if you’re closed due to the equipment breakdown. Many commercial leases require you to carry this coverage. You can find out more info about the coverage at www.profur.ca/equipment-breakdown-insurance/ to help determine if it’d be beneficial for you. Note that this coverage is automatically included on some policies.
These 2 benefits help to pay for expenses incurred for you to establish the amount of your loss after a claim and to prepare the Proof of Loss form that you’re required to submit before a claim can be paid. For example – your business is shut down for a month to clean up after the sewer backs up into your training facility after a storm. You will likely need to hire an accountant to establish how much profit was lost while you are closed before you can be reimbursed by the insurance company.
**All coverages are subject to the limits of insurance purchased and the usual Terms, Conditions, Exclusions and Warranties of the underwriter, Intact Insurance. Deductibles may apply to some of the listed coverages. More detailed coverage information will be provided with your quote.